Beef and Vegetable Stew
- 3 pound stewing beef chuck, , heel of round, or neck
- 1/3 cup flour
- 3 tablespoon fat
- 2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 can tomato sauce, (8 ounce can)
- 5 cup boiling water
- 6 medium carrots
- 8 medium onions
- 1/4 teaspoon oregano, or marjoram
- 2 cup cooked or canned peas
- Cut beef in 1-inch cubes; dredge with flour.
- Heat fat in a large, heavy saucepot.
- Brown meat on all sides.
- Add salt, pepper, sugar, tomato sauce, and water.
- Simmer, covered.
- 1 1/2 hours, or until meat is almost tender.
- Scrape carrots, slice 1-inch thick.
- Peel onions; add with carrots to meat.
- Cover; cook 30 minutes.
- Add oregano or marjoram and peas.
- Cook 15 minutes or until meat and vegetables are done.
- If desired, thicken gravy before serving.
Author: Organization.Metropolitan Life Insurance Company
Source: Metropolitan Cookbook (1964-02-01)
Ingredient: beef chuck, flour, fat, salt, pepper, sugar, tomato sauce, water, carrot, onion, oregano, pea
Equipment: measuring cups, measuring spoons, pot, knife