- 1 3/4 cup flour
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 egg
- 1/2 lemon extract
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup butter, or other fat
- 2/3 cup milk
- Mix flour, baking powder and salt and sift twice.
- Cream butter until soft; add sugar gradually, beating until light.
- Beat in the egg and flavoring.
- Add flour mixing alternately with the milk, beating smooth after each addition.
- Turn into a buttered square tin (8 x 8 x 2 inches).
- Bake in moderate oven (350f) for about 40 minutes.
- Serve with butterscotch or orange sauce.
- It’s delicious covered with crushed berries or other fruits.
Author: Organization.Yorkraft Inc
Source: Pennsylvania Dutch Cooking (1960-01-01)
Ingredient: flour, sugar, baking powder, egg, lemon extract, salt, butter, milk
Equipment: measuring cups, measuring spoons, oven, egg beater, sifter