Butter Sponge Cake
Yield: 2 8-inch cake layers
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 tablespoon butter, or margarine
- 1 cup sifted enriched flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- Set oven for moderate, 350f.
- Beat eggs until very light and thick.
- Beat in salt, sugar, and vanilla.
- Heat milk and butter to boiling point; beat in.
- Mix and sift flour and baking powder.
- Beat in.
- Bake in greased square cake pan, 8 by 8 by 2 inches, about 30 minutes.
- Cool on cake rack.
- Frost as desired.
- Or bake at same temperature in two greased 8-inch layer cake pans, 20 to 25 minutes.
- Variation for boston cream pie: put layers together with vanilla or chocolate cream filling made with pudding mix, dust top layer with confectioners' sugar.
- Variation for washington pie: put layers together with raspberry jam, dust top with confectioners' sugar.
Author: Organization.Metropolitan Life Insurance Company
Source: Metropolitan Cookbook (1964-02-01)
Ingredient: egg, salt, sugar, vanilla, milk, butter, flour, baking powder
Equipment: oven, egg beater, cake pan, measuring spoons, measuring cups