Apple Brown Betty
Yield: 6 servings
- 1 cup soft bread crumbs, or ready-to-eat cereal
- 3 tablespoon butter, or margarine
- 1 teaspoon grated orange or lemon peel
- 1/2 cup sugar, or other sweetening
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 4 medium-sized apples, sliced
- 1/4 cup fruit juice
- Set oven for moderate, 375f.
- Mix bread crumbs, butter or margarine, peel, sugar, and cinnamon.
- Place half the sliced apples in buttered baking dish.
- Cover with half the bread-crumb mixture.
- Add remaining apple slices and cover with remaining crumb mixture.
- Sprinkle with fruit juice.
- Bake about 45 minutes.
- Serve hot or cold with milk, cream, custard sauce, or other dessert sauce.
- Mincemeat variation: use 1/2 cup mincemeat and 3 apples.
- Rhubarb variation: use 2 cups stewed sweetened rhubarb in place of apples; omit sugar, cinnamon, and fruit juice.
Author: Organization.Metropolitan Life Insurance Company
Source: Metropolitan Cookbook (1964-02-01)
Ingredient: bread crumb, butter, lemon peel, sugar, cinnamon, apple, fruit juice
Equipment: oven, measuring spoons, measuring cups, knife, baking pan