Bassbousa (Farina Dessert)
- 4 cup farina
- 3/4 pound unsalted butter
- 1 1/2 cup milk
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup coconut
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 3 cup sugar
- 2 cup water
- 2 teaspoon lemon juice
- Warm the milk; heat the butter very hot.
- Stir the butter into the farina.
- Stir in the warmed milk, then the coconut, 1 cup sugar and the baking powder and mix well.
- Butter a large (9" x 13") pyrex baking dish and spread the mixture in it evenly.
- Cut it in small squares and place a piece of almond on each square.
- Set aside for 30 minutes.
- Then bake at 350f for approximately 45 minutes until it is golden brown.
- While the farina mixture is set aside before baking, make a syrup by dissolving 3 cups of sugar in the water and stirring constantly while bringing it to a boil.
- Add the lemon juice and boil for one minute, then set aside to cool.
- When the farina mixture is removed from the oven, pour the cooled syrup over it.
- Serve when cool.
Author: Person.Soad Mansour, Person.Layla Risk, Person.Suzy Grindi
Source: Festival of American Folklife: Egyptian Recipes (1976-01-01)
Ingredient: farina, butter, milk, sugar, coconut, baking powder, water, lemon juice
Equipment: measuring cups, measuring spoons, stove, pot, baking dish, knife, oven