Lemon Bread Pudding
Yield: 54 one-third cup servings
- 1 cup lemon juice
- 1 1/4 cup butter, (10 ounces)
- 1 1/4 quart sugar, (2 1/2 pounds)
- 15 eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoon grated lemon rind
- 2 1/2 cup evaporated milk
- 2 1/2 cup water
- Bring lemon juice and butter to boiling point.
- Add the 1 1/4 quarts sugar and pour slowly over the 15 beaten eggs.
- Cook over hot water until mixture thickens.
- Pour this mixture over the bread crumbs and let stand 10 minutes.
- Add the 10 beaten eggs, 1 cup sugar, salt, lemon rind, milk and water.
- Pour into buttered pudding molds or baking powder cans.
- Lemon bread pudding puffs up while steaming, so fill molds only 3/4 full.
- If individual molds are used, this recipe will fill 54 molds with 1/3 cup mixture each.
- Cover and steam 1 1/2 hours.
- Serve while still warm.
Author: Organization.Evaporated Milk Association
Source: Quantity Recipes for Quality Foods (1939-01-01)
Ingredient: lemon juice, butter, sugar, egg, salt, lemon rind, evaporated milk, water
Equipment: measuring cups, measuring spoons, pan, egg beater, steamer