Veal and Green Bean Stew
Yield: 6 servings
- 1 pound boned veal, shoulder
- 3 cup cold water
- 2 teaspoon monosodium glutamate
- 2 pound green bean
- 3 tablespoon butter, or margarine
- 3 tablespoon flour
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoon vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon summer savory
- 1 tablespoon chopped parsley
- Cut veal in 1/2-inch pieces.
- Add cold water and 1 teaspoon monosodium glutamate.
- Bring slowly to boil; lower heat: simmer 1 hour.
- Wash beans; break off tips; remove strings, if any.
- Break into 1-inch pieces; add to veal: cover; cook 25 minutes or until tender.
- Melt butter or margarine: blend in flour, sugar, salt, and remaining monosodium glutamate.
- Measure liquid from green bean mixture; add enough water to make 4 cups; add to flour mixture with vinegar.
- Cook, stirring until smooth and thickened; return to green bean mixture.
- Add savory, parsley, and pepper.
- Cook, uncovered, over low heat 15 minutes.
- Top each serving with generous mound of mashed potatoes.
Author: Organization.Metropolitan Life Insurance Company
Source: Metropolitan Cookbook (1964-02-01)
Ingredient: veal, water, monosodium glutamate, green bean, butter, flour, sugar, salt, pepper, vinegar, summer savory, parsley
Equipment: measuring cups, measuring spoons, knife, pot