Savory Rice with Tomatoes
Yield: 6 servings
- 1/4 pound bacon
- 3 1/2 cup fresh or canned (No. 2 1/2 can) tomatoes
- 1/4 cup green pepper
- 1/4 cup onion
- 1 cup uncooked rice
- 2 cup water
- Cook bacon until crisp, remove from fat.
- And drain.
- Combine 2 tablespoons of the bacon drippings with tomatoes, green pepper and onion.
- Bring to boiling, add about 3 cups cooked rice, cook 10 - 20 minutes or add 1 cup uncooked rice and 2 cups water, and cook gently 40 to 45 minutes or until rice is tender.
- Add more water if mixture becomes dry.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Add bacon.
Author: Organization.United States Department of Agriculture
Source: Tomatoes On Your Table (1944-01-01)
Ingredient: bacon, tomato, green pepper, onion, rice, water, salt, pepper
Equipment: measuring cups, measuring spoons, pot, knife, stove