Sauerbraten and Dumplings
- 3 pound beef chuck, or any pot roast
- 2 onions, sliced
- 2 teaspoon salt
- 6 whole cloves
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 1/2 cup red wine vinegar
- 1 cup boiling water
- 2 tablespoon shortening
- 2 pound red cabbage, cut into 8 or 10 wedges
- 2 teaspoon sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoon caraway seeds
- Place meat in a glass dish or heavy plastic bag.
- Mix onions, salt, cloves, bay leaves, vinegar and water; pour over meat and refrigerate 3 days.
- Turn meat twice a day while marinating.
- Remove meat from marinade (reserve liquid) and brown in shortening in a heavy skillet, add reserved marinade, cover and simmer 2 1/2 to 3 hours.
- Remove meat and onions; keep warm.
- Strain liquid into skillet and add water.
- Meanwhile prepare dumplings, adding caraway seed to the dough.
- Drop dumpling dough by spoonfuls onto cabbage, cook, uncovered, 10 minutes over low heat; then cover and cook 10 minutes longer.
- Prepare gravy.
- In a saucepan, stir a little flour into enough cold water to make a thin smooth paste, gradually add liquid poured from the cabbage and dumplings.
- Cook, 'stirring, constantly, over low heat until gravy is thick and smooth.
- Serve the sauerbraten, cabbage and dumplings with gravy.
Contributor: Organization.National Park Service
, Organization.Smithsonian Institution
Source: Festival of American Folklife: German Recipes (1976-01-01)
Category: Meat, Main Dish
Ingredient: beef chuck, onion, salt, clove, bay leaf, wine vinegar, water, shortening, cabbage, sugar, caraway seed, dumpling
Equipment: measuring cups, measuring spoons, knife, skillet, stove, saucepan