Related Recipes: Weissbrot (White Bread)
- 6 cup flour
- 2 packages dry yeast
- 2 tablespoon oil
- 2 tablespoon salt
- 2 tablespoon sugar
- 2 cup warm water
- 1 egg white
- 1 tablespoon water
- Soak yeast in 1/2 cup warm (not hot) water until dissolved.
- Mix this with all the other ingredients except the lard and salt.
- Set bowl holding dough in warm water until bubbles form in dough.
- Add lard and salt.
- Knead, adding enough white flour to make a firm dough.
- Let rise in warm place until double in bulk.
- Punch down.
- Form into two loaves (see weissbrot recipe for specific directions on shaping loaves).
- Place in greased pans.
- Leave in warm place to rise again until doubled in bulk.
- Bake at 350f for 35-40 minutes.
- For a soft crust, sprinkle water over baked loaf and cover with a cloth.
- For a hard crust, spread butter on hot loaf.
Contributor: Organization.National Park Service
, Organization.Smithsonian Institution
Source: Festival of American Folklife: German Recipes (1976-01-01)
Ingredient: flour, yeast, oil, salt, sugar, water, egg white
Equipment: measuring cups, measuring spoons, bowl, oven, baking pan