Yield: 12 large muffins
- 1/3 cup shortening
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs, well beaten
- 1 1/4 cup yellow corn meal
- 3/4 cup sifted enriched flour
- 2 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup dried currants
- 1 cup milk
- Set oven for hot, 400f.
- Cream shortening and sugar until light and fluffy: stir in eggs, then corn meal.
- Mix and sift flour, baking powder, and salt.
- Stir currants into flour mixture.
- Add to corn meal mixture.
- Add milk; stir just enough to moisten.
- Spoon into greased muffin pans.
- Bake 25 minutes.
Author: Organization.Metropolitan Life Insurance Company
Source: Metropolitan Cookbook (1964-02-01)
Category: Bread, Breakfast
Ingredient: shortening, sugar, egg, corn meal, flour, baking powder, salt, currant, milk
Equipment: oven, measuring spoons, measuring cups, egg beater, muffin pan