Kebab Hela (Meat Cassarole)
- 1 -1 1/2 pound beef, English cut (cut in 1 inch cubes)
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon butter margarine
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- dash of garlic powder
- Mix onion, lemon juice, garlic powder and meat.
- Set aside for about 45 minutes.
- In a medium saucepan cook the meat mixture over medium heat, turning constantly with a large spoon till all moisture is gone.
- Add the butter, stirring till all meat is coated with the butter.
- Add about 2 cups of water, cover and simmer over lowered heat.
- When all water has evaporated, add more; repeat until meat is tender, then add salt and pepper.
- Simmer for another ten minutes until little sauce is left.
- Serve hot with vegetables and salad.
Author: Person.Soad Mansour, Person.Layla Risk, Person.Suzy Grindi
Contributor: Organization.Order of Eastern Star Chapter 69
Source: Festival of American Folklife: Egyptian Recipes (2020-03-02)
Ingredient: beef, lemon juice, margarine, onion, salt, pepper, garlic powder
Equipment: measuring cups, measuring spoons, knife, saucepan