Gumbo Soup a la St. Louis
- 1 pint okra, cut into small pieces
- 4 medium sized tomatoes
- 1 pound round beef
- red pepper
- 3 pint water
- Cut the beef into small pieces and put them into a hot skillet with enough suet to prevent the meat from sticking.
- Brown well.
- Put the okra into a granite, agate or aluminum pan with the water, and place it on a hot fire.
- Slice the tomatoes and herbs into the water with the okra and while the meat is still hot, add it to the whole mixture.
- Let all come to a boil and with a wooden spoon remove the dark sticky substance which arises from the okra.
- After cooking for a few minutes and removing this scum constantly, the soup becomes clear.
- Then place it on a slow fire and let cook for at least three hours.
- Before serving add salt and any other seasoning desired.
- If desired, serve with boiled rice and stewed tomatoes, cooked separately, and placed in the bottom of the soup dishes.
Author: Person.Laura La Plante
Contributor: Organization.Photoplay Magazine, Person.Carolyn van Wyck
Source: Photoplay's Cook Book (1927-01-01)
Category: Main Dish, Soup
Ingredient: okra, tomato, beef, leek, thyme, carrot, red pepper, water
Equipment: knife, stove, pot