German Sour Cream Twists
Yield: 5 dozen
- 3 1/2 cup sifted flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup shortening, (part butter)
- 1 package dry yeast
- 1/4 cup warm water
- 3/4 cup thick sour cream, (20%)
- 1 whole egg
- 2 egg yolks, well beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup sugar
- Sift flour, salt into mixing bowl.
- Cut in shortening.
- Dissolve yeast in water.
- Stir into flour mixture with sour cream, eggs, vanilla.
- Mix well with hand.
- Cover with damp cloth and refrigerate 2 hours.
- Roll half of dough on sugared board into an oblong, 8x16.
- Fold ends toward center, ends overlapping.
- Sprinkle with sugar, roll again to same size.
- Repeat a third time.
- Roll about 1/4" thick but into strips 1x4".
- Twist ends in opposite directions-stretching dough slightly.
- Put in shape of horseshoe on ungreased baking sheet-pressing ends to keep shape,.
- Repeat with rest of dough.
- Heat oven to 375f (quick moderate).
- Bake about 15 minutes or until delicately browned.
- Take from the baking sheet immediately.
Author: Organization.Stout State College Home Economics Club
Source: Stout's Favorites (1955-01-01)
Ingredient: flour, salt, shortening, yeast, water, sour cream, egg, egg yolk, vanilla, sugar
Equipment: measuring cups, measuring spoons, bowl, egg beater, rolling pin, baking sheet