German Potato Salad
Yield: 12 servings
- 36 small potatoes
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 pound bacon
- 2 tablespoon bacon, fat
- 2 tablespoon butter
- 1/2 cup vinegar
- 1 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup sugar
- salt, to taste
- pepper, to taste
- 6 eggs, hardcooked
- Cook potatoes in skins until soft.
- Peel and slice.
- Add onion.
- Fry bacon till crisp; don't let bacon fat get too brown.
- Remove bacon from pan, drain and crumble.
- Pour off all but 2 tablespoon bacon fat, add butter and stir in cornstarch, sugar, then vinegar, water, salt and pepper.
- Bring sauce to a boil, stirring constantly, and pour over potatoes and onion.
- Reserve some crumbled bacon and two eggs, sliced, for garnish.
- Chop rest of eggs and sprinkle eggs and bacon over salad, mixing in gently.
- Garnish with reserved bacon, eggs and chopped parsley.
Contributor: Organization.National Park Service
, Organization.Smithsonian Institution
Source: Festival of American Folklife: German Recipes (1976-01-01)
Category: Salad, Side
Ingredient: potato, onion, bacon, butter, vinegar, water, sugar, salt, pepper, egg
Equipment: measuring cups, measuring spoons, knife, baking pan, oven, saucepan, stove