Fruit and Nut Cookies
- 1 cup shortening
- 1 teaspoon soda
- 1 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 tablespoon hot water
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 cup raisins, chopped
- 1/2 cup currants, chopped
- 3 1/2 cup flour
- 1 cup nuts, chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- Cream shortening and sugar, add the eggs and beat until light and fluffy.
- Sift flour add salt and cinnamon and sift again.
- Dissolve the soda in the hot water and add to the creamed mixture.
- Add half of the sifted dry ingredients mixing well.
- Fold in the chopped fruit and nuts and the remaining flour mixture.
- Stir until thoroughly blended.
- Drop teaspoonfuls on greased cookie sheets, about 2 inches apart and bake in moderate oven (350-f) for 15 minutes.
Author: Organization.Yorkraft Inc
Source: Pennsylvania Dutch Cooking (1960-01-01)
Ingredient: shortening, soda, sugar, water, egg, raisin, currant, flour, nut, salt, cinnamon
Equipment: measuring cups, measuring spoons, oven, baking sheet