Dutch Meat Rolls (Boova Shenkel)
- 2 1/2 pound beef
- 1/2 cup milk
- 10 potatoes
- 3 eggs
- 2 tablespoon butter
- 2 1/2 cup flour
- 2 tablespoon minced parsley
- 2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon shortening
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon butter
- After seasoning the meat with salt and pepper, stew the meat for two hours.
- Then make dough with flour, baking powder, salt the shortening.
- Mix into a pie-crust dough.
- Roll into a dozen circles 8 to 10 inches in diameter.
- Steam the potatoes, pared and sliced thin; add salt and pepper, 2 tablespoons of butter; the parsley and onions and then beat lightly the three eggs into the mixture.
- Put this mixture on the circles of dough after it has stood a little while.
- Fold half the circle of dough over like a half moon and press edges together tightly.
- Drop these into the pot with the meat and stew water.
- Cover tightly and cook for 30 minutes.
- Into a frying pan put a couple of tablespoons of fat skimmed from the stew before putting in the dough rolls, add to this 1 tablespoon of butter.
- In this brown small cubes of hard bread and stir in a half cup of milk.
- Pour this milk sauce over the meat rolls when serving.
Author: Organization.Yorkraft Inc
Source: Pennsylvania Dutch Cooking (1960-01-01)
Ingredient: beef, milk, potato, egg, butter, flour, parsley, baking powder, onion, shortening, salt
Equipment: measuring cups, measuring spoons, pot, stove, rolling pin