- 4 large tomatoes
- 4 tablespoon butter
- 1 large onion
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 2 chopped green peppers
- 1 cup milk and cream
- Cut tomatoes in halves crosswise.
- Lay cut side up in baking pan and sprinkle with finely chopped onions and also peppers, from which seeds and veins have been removed.
- Season highly.
- Place a small piece of butter on each tomato.
- Pour half cup of water into pan and bake in quick oven until tomatoes are tender.
- Melt two tablespoons of butter and brown flour in this.
- Add milk, cream and liquor from the baking pan.
- Stir until boiling and cook three minutes longer.
- Serve tomatoes on squares of toast and pour sauce around them.
Author: Person.Edna Murphy
Contributor: Organization.Photoplay Magazine, Person.Carolyn van Wyck
Source: Photoplay's Cook Book (1927-01-01)
Ingredient: tomato, butter, onion, flour, green pepper, cream, seasoning
Equipment: measuring cups, measuring spoons, knife, oven, stove, baking pan