Coffee Cake (Kaffee Kuchen)
- 1/2 cake yeast
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup lukewarm water
- 2 cup sifted flour
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup butter
- 2 eggs
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 4 cup flour
- At night crumble and soak yeast 20 minutes in lukewarm water.
- Scald milk, add salt and let cool.
- Add yeast to lukewarm milk and mix enough flour to make a thick batter.
- Beat smooth.
- Cover and let rise in moderately warm place (78 degrees) over night or until light.
- In morning scald and cool milk.
- Cream butter, sugar and salt.
- Add beaten eggs.
- Mix sponge with lukewarm milk, then add butter mixture and enough our to make soft dough.
- Beat hard or knead by hand.
- Let dough rise until doubled.
- When light turn on floured board and roll out gently until 1/2 inch thick.
- Place in buttered pans.
- Brush top with melted butter.
- Let rise until double.
- Sprinkle with sugar or cinnamon and bake in hot oven for 20 minutes.
Author: Organization.Yorkraft Inc
Source: Pennsylvania Dutch Cooking (1960-01-01)
Ingredient: yeast, salt, water, flour, milk, butter, egg, sugar
Equipment: measuring cups, measuring spoons, egg beater, rolling pin, oven