Yield: 5 pints, 8 servings
- 6 slices bacon, finely diced
- 4 medium onions, finely diced
- 1 cup celery, tops chopped
- 6 medium potatoes, finely diced
- 3 cup water
- 5 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 5 cup minced clams
- 2 tablespoon butter
- 4 cup rich milk
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 4 cup clam, chowder base
- Saute bacon until golden but not brown.
- Add onions and celery tops to bacon and cook until onion and celery are wilted.
- Add next 5 ingredients, simmer until potatoes are tender, about 1/2 hour.
- The base is now completed.
- Melt butter and blend in flour.
- Remove from heat and slowly stir in milk.
- Return to heat and cook until slightly thickened.
- Add clam chowder base and heat through but do not boil, add a little butter and paprika to taste.
- Serves 8.
Author: Person.Mrs Jennie Olson
Contributor: Organization.Point Adams Packing Co
Source: Savory Seafoods of Oregon (1957-07-01)
Category: Seafood, Soup
Ingredient: bacon, onion, celery, potato, water, salt, pepper, clam, butter, milk, flour
Equipment: measuring cups, measuring spoons, pan, stove, pot