Banana Cream Chiffon Cake
Related Recipes: Whipped Cream Filling
Yield: 10 servings
- 1 1/8 cup (1 cup plus 2 tbsp) sifted cake flour, (Spoon lightIy into cup, don't pack)
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, cup
- 1/4 cooking oil
- 2 unbeaten egg yolks, (med. size)
- 3 tablespoon cold water
- 1/2 cup sieved very ripe bananas, (1 to 1 1/2)
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla, or
- 1/2 teaspoon grated lemon rind
- 1/2 cup egg whites, (4 whites)
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- Preheat oven to 325f (moderate and slow).
- Measure-(all level measurements)-and sift together into mixing bowl, flour, sugar, baking powder, salt.
- Make a well in the center of dry ingredients and add in order: oil, egg yolks, water, bananas, flavoring.
- Beat with spoon until smooth.
- Measure into another large mixing bowl: egg whites, cream of tartar.
- Whip until whites form very stiff peaks.
- They should be much stiffer than for angel food or meringue.
- Do not underbeat.
- Pour egg yolk mixture gradually over whipped egg whites, gently folding with rubber scraper just until blended.
- Do not stir.
- Pour into ungreased 9-inch tube pan, 31' inches deep immediately.
- Bake 50 to 55 minutes in slow moderate over, 325f, or until top springs back when lightly touched.
- Immediately turn pan upside down, placing tube part over neck of funnel or bottle.
- Let hang, free of table, until cold.
- Loosen from sides and tube with spatula.
- Turn pan over and hit edge sharply on table to loosen.
- Split cake crosswise in three even layers with saw-toothed knife.
- Spread whipped cream filling between layers (widest layer on bottom) and over top and sides.
- Garnish with banana slices.
- Keep in refrigerator until serving time.
- Dip banana slices in lemon, orange, grapefruit or pineapple juice to keep from turning dark.
Author: Organization.Order of Eastern Star Chapter 69
Contributor: Organization.Order of Eastern Star Chapter 69
Source: Eastern Star Cookbook (1951-01-01)
Ingredient: cake flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, cooking oil, egg yolk, water, banana, vanilla, lemon rind, egg white, cream of tartar
Equipment: measuring cups, measuring spoons, oven, sifter, bowl, tube pan, refrigerator