- 1 pound fillo (strudel) dough
- 1/2 pound sweet butter, unsalted
- 1/2 pound ground walnuts
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 3 cup water
- Melt the butter over very low heat.
- In a 9" x 13" pan, place 2 or 3 sheets of fillo and brush with butter.
- Continue the layers of fillo brushed with butter until half of the fillo has been used.
- Mix the nuts with the cinnamon and one tablespoon of the sugar, and spread over the fillo layers.
- Then add the rest of the fillo, 2-3 sheets at a time, brushing with butter until it is all used.
- With a sharp knife, cut into desired number of pieces and bake at 350 for 35 minutes until it is lightly browned.
- Combine the remainder of the sugar with the water in a medium saucepan and boil over medium heat for about 30 minutes, until it thickens.
- Add the lemon juice and boil for 10 minutes more, then remove from heat, add vanilla and let it cool.
- Pour the cold syrup over the hot baklava a few minutes after removing it from the oven.
Author: Person.Soad Mansour, Person.Layla Risk, Person.Suzy Grindi
Source: Festival of American Folklife: Egyptian Recipes (1976-01-01)
Ingredient: dough, butter, walnut, cinnamon, sugar, vanilla, lemon juice, water
Equipment: measuring cups, measuring spoons, baking pan, brush, bowl, stove, oven